Originally from Panama, I moved to the United States with my mother, father and sister Michelle at a young age. Michelle and I enjoyed a happy, albeit nontraditional, childhood in St. Louis, Missouri being raised by Dad while Mom completed her medical residency. After graduating from high school, I moved to California to attend college and then grad school.
Until I further flesh out this bio, here are 25 random things about me:
1. I get really nervous when I’m running late so I generally run on-time, and usually even arrive early. Not very cool to be the first, but it helps me keep my cool.
2. In my next life I want to be a dancer — either a ballet dancer or part of a pop dance crew, like Janet Jackson Rhythm Nation.
3. I love skin and probably should have gone to medical school and become a dermatologist.
4. I have run 5 marathons and a bunch of other shorter races and completed triathlons. I was never encouraged (or discouraged for that matter) to do sports growing up but have really enjoyed strengthening my body and mind training for and competing in endurance events.
5. I have the best mom.
6. My dad is hella old. He turned 93 this year.
7. I’m proud of my sister and consider her to be Most-Improved.
8. I once hung out with Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish in a hotel room. Unfortunately, this sounds more interesting that Hootie turned out to be. Nothing happened. Really.
9. I speak Chinese.
10. Ok. I lied about number 8, but Spanish was my first language.
11. While on a fishing trip in Mexico with my friend Pete, our boat saved a 14 year-old girl lost at sea. He had been in the water for 2 days after the boat she was on caught fire.
12. I have a passion for healthy food and nutrition. A couple of years ago I attended a week-long raw food retreat in Maui; I’ve been to the Optimum Health Institute twice; and spent a week in Canyon Ranch — the second happiest place on earth — with friends last year.
13. The first happiest place on earth is Sephora. I love, love, love cosmetics and had to make a point to stop buying them a few months back since I had so much.
14. My favorite city is Paris and I don’t even speak French.
15. I love product samples. What kind? Any kind. I love them because they’re small and they’re free.
16. I once got a ticket for jumping through the underground Muni entrance without a ticket. I thought I could get away with it since there was no one around. Turns out an officer was right there. He told me, “This was a test of your integrity and you failed.” Bummer.
17. I have an aversion to public transportation and drive just about everywhere. If I can’t drive, then I prefer to walk.
18. Going to yoga, minding what I eat and getting sufficient sleep are the three best things I do for myself. Not doing any of these consistently puts me in a very grouchy mood.
19. I like to sing. I was the star of elementary school plays and participated in school and community choirs growing up. I sang in a college a cappella group and continue to sing with other former members of that group in SF today.
20. I have terrible vision and must wear corrective lenses at all times. However, the idea of eye surgery freaks me out so I hang onto my glasses and contacts for now.
21. My favorite color is aqua, my favorite foods are pizza and chocolate chip cookies and my favorite movie is Memento.
22. I still keep in touch with Brenna, a friend from second grade. Teachers used to make comments on our report cards that we were both bright, but that we “talked, and talked, and talked, and talked.”
23. I have a fantasy of owning a farm and living a very simple life living sustainably off the land.
24. One of my favorite authors is Echkart Tolle. Reading his books calms me.
25. When I’m really smitten by someone, I will write them a poem. I guess that makes me a poet.